Augustana Lutheran Church Welcomes You
Augustana Lutheran Church at a Glance
Our Mission: to proclaim the Gospel of Jesus Christ as we invite and welcome all—serving among, witnessing to, and praying with our neighbors.
Making A Difference
Sunday Worship at 10:30am
Come Join Us
Convinced that the Holy Spirit calls, gathers, and enlightens us through the Word and Sacraments, we gather together weekly to listen and respond to that call. We sing, pray, read Scripture, celebrate the Lord's Supper, baptize, hear the Word, and more.
A Church For The Sake Of The World.
All Are Welcome
We are a Christian congregation that seeks to serve others, asks hard questions, and celebrate God’s gracious gifts in our neighborhood, both near and far. We invite you to look around our website and then join us in person as we serve, inquire, and celebrate Christ’s beloved community. You are welcome here.
Since 1866 (that's over a century and a half!), Augustana's tried to listen to God’s call--serving others and sharing Christ in our wonderfully diverse neighborhood, "Ventura Village," in Minneapolis. Deeply rooted and invested in this place, our ministries reach out to our city and our world.
Our congregation was founded by two immigrant groups, who established a church, a mission station, on the banks of the Mississippi. No small accomplishment, they overcame cultural differences and conflicts (like the wars they fought against each other in the old country). On April 16, 1866, twelve Swedes and 12 Norwegians met to organize the Evangelical Lutheran Augustana Church of Minneapolis. Those early years were difficult and the swelling ranks of Scandinavians from the old country led to the formation of two congregations—one that worshiped in Norwegian and the other in Swedish. Although financial struggles continued, the Swedes built their first sanctuary on Washington and 13th Avenue ($400 for the purchase of the land).
On June 24, 1883, we moved into a church building on 11th Ave. S. (seven blocks north of where we worship now). By 1887, the membership had grown considerably (over 600 adults and 300 children) and we joined the old Augustana Synod. Through the past 148 years, we have birthed some 10 daughter congregations in the Minneapolis area—as well as many other ministries throughout the world.
A History of Service
In 1896, the women of Augustana established a “Mission Colony” to provide housing for single women and care for the elderly and children. Through the years, that ministry has spread throughout the twin cities and beyond as the Augustana Care Corporation.
Augustana also played an important role in the foundation of the Swedish Hospital of Minneapolis in 1898 (a predecessor to present-day Hennepin County Medical Center).
In 1929, we helped inaugurate the American Swedish Institute in Minneapolis.
We established Community Emergency Service in 1971—and to this day, CES remains “Dedicated to assisting community people in meeting basic physical, emotional and spiritual needs in a warm, accepting and Christ-like manner.” In the 1980s we founded the Crossroad Preschool and Mothers Morning Out.
The New Augustana
We now gather for worship, learning, fellowship, and service at 1900 11th Ave. South, Minneapolis (one block north of Franklin Ave. and seven blocks south of the second Augustana structure--in the CES building). Our first worship service here was Sunday, May 6, 2012, as we processed to our new church home. We continue to worship and serve in a neighborhood where immigrants land, folks face profound economic challenges, and diverse races live together. Our neighborhood is, in many ways, like the original Augustana of the 1860’s. A place where we're called to share Christ’s love with all.
Our history has now brought us here—to the new Augustana—where we follow the example of our forebears who founded this community of faith so many years ago.